The State of Michigan certifies organizations like Driving Right Training School to conduct the road test on their behalf. Please call Driving Right at 517-351-0064 to schedule a road test. If we are unable to answer your call please leave a voice message and we will call you back.
Eligibility Requirements – Teens
- Under 18 years of age
- Possess Level 1 License for 6 months
- Complete Segment 2 driver education course
- Driven and logged 50 hours, 10 of which are nighttime hours
Bring to the Road Test:
- Graduated Driver License (Permit)
- Segment 2 certificate
- A driving log showing 50 hours or more of driving, 10 hours of which are nighttime driving; either on paper or on an app.
- Current insurance of the vehicle used for the road test; electronic or paper copy is acceptable.
- Current registration of the vehicle used for road test; an electronic copy of the registration is not permitted
- One parent or legal guardian must accompany their teen during the road test. No additional passengers are permitted in the vehicle (no brothers or sisters).
If a parent/legal guardian is not able to accompany their teen on the road test, they may write and sign a letter granting permission for another adult 21 years of age or older to accompany their teen on the road test.
Adults, International Students, and Visiting Scholars
- 18 years of age or older
- Possess Temporary Instructional Permit (TIP).
- Possess an International License or License from their country and a document from the Secretary of State’s office called the Driving Skills Test Authorization Receipt (DSTAR).
Adults bring to the Road Test:
- Temporary Instructional Permit (TIP), or
- International License, or License from home country with the Driving Skills Test Authorization Receipt (DSTAR)
- Current insurance of the vehicle used for the road test; electronic or paper copy is acceptable Current registration of the vehicle used for the road test; an electronic copy of the registration is not permitted
- No additional passengers are permitted in the vehicle during the road test.
To prepare for the road test, please read the Secretary of State’s booklet:
Scheduling A Road Test
Appointments may be scheduled the same day, next day, or anytime thereafter. Call (517) 351-0064 for an appointment. If you get a voicemail recording, please leave your name and phone number and Driving Right will return your call as soon as possible (usually same day or next day).
Cost for the Road Test: $70. Vehicle rental: $30
Road Test Locations
Road tests are conducted at the Ascension Lutheran Church, 2780 Haslett Rd., East Lansing, 48823. This site is very close to MSU and is on CATA bus route #22. A rental vehicle is available for the road test.